A Note from the President
The fiscal year is nearing its end and much has been achieved this year!
The board of directors has been hard at work ensuring our organization is healthy and capable of carrying out the mission of changing lives in our community.
The overarching theme this year has been “sustainable success”. From every vantage point, we have been looking to create success in a repeatable and sustainable way. This means creating programs and developing policy and procedure that enables sustainability and accountability.
Some highlights from the past fiscal year include:
- Raised over $2400 for our Student Conference Travel Fund, highlighted by our keynote speaker, Jenette Ramos, Senior VP Supply Chain & Operations, Boeing Commercial Airplanes.
- Developed our mentorship program with the University of Washington SHPE Chapter, where 15 of our members devoted their time to helping students with various career and professional development advice.
- Held various general meetings for the UW chapter, including a networking dinner and a resume workshop, among others.
- Sponsored the FIRST Robotics team at Mt. Rainier High School, coached by member Nick Estrada.
- Sponsored Future Meets Present at the UW, where high school students from around the state were inspired to pursue higher education and explore engineering at UW
On the financial side, the chapter was successful in reclaiming over $12,000 in escheated funds which were lost due to inactivity many years ago. Thank you to the board for their efforts in complying with regulations as a 501 (c) 3 organization.
As the year is coming to a close in June, I invite you all to support our chapter scholarship fund. On June 1st, 2018, we will be celebrating our inaugural class of scholarship recipients which is possible because of our fundraising efforts from last year. Additionally, we will be celebrating our chapter award recipients. Please congratulate them all:
- San Lorenzo de Nutka Award – Van Rex Gallard, Former VP of Sales, Boeing
- Community Group Engagement Award – SHPE UW Chapter
- President’s Award – Christian Sarmiento, Boeing
- Professional Role Model Award – Andreína Vivas Thomas, Lenovo
- Community Outreach Award – Leann Martins & Victor Callado, Boeing
- Distinguished Corporate Support Award – Boeing Hispanic Employee’s Network, President George Alabí
All proceeds from the event will go to the chapter scholarship fund and will ensure sustained success for college students in the state of Washington. Please see our Eventbrite page for ticket information.
Lastly, I want to present the elected board of directors for 2018-2019:
- President – Joe Martinez, Boeing
- Secretary – Christian Sarmiento, Boeing
- Treasurer – Andreína Vivas Thomas, Lenovo
No nominations were accepted for VP. Additional board members will be appointed at the beginning of the fiscal year in July. We have nominees for Director of University Outreach and Director of Professional Development to be approved by the board of directors.
We are currently seeking individuals who may be interested in leading efforts in the following:
K-12 Educational Programs, to report to the president
Marketing and Communications, to report to the secretary (includes website and social media)
Corporate and Donor Relations, to report to the treasurer
Fundraising, to report to all 3 executive positions
If you are interested in one of these positions, have any questions, or want to get involved in any other capacity, please reach out to email@example.com.
I want to thank the board members from this year for all their hard-work and dedication!
- President – Joe Martinez
- VP – Carlos Blanco
- Treasurer – Ivan Gutierrez
- Treasurer, Interim – Andreína Vivas Thomas
- Secretary – Christian Sarmiento
- Director of University Outreach – Victor Callado
- Director of Professional Development – Leann Martins
- Director of Governance – Faraón Torres
And finally, I want to thank all of our volunteers, our donors, our members, and our supporters. Without you, we would not be where we are today, and we would not be on a path to greater success for the years to come!
Joe Martinez, President, SHPE Puget Sound Chapter